Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Fear as a Motivator

Over time I believe I have managed to be pushed into a few different things that I may not have tried merely because I was afraid not to. Nowhere is that more true than in my martial arts training. That I definitely joined out of fear of personal injury, however, that is not really the fear I want to deal with tonight. Instead I am more thinking of the fear I have always had of success or failure that I alluded to in my last missive. I am still not usre which one it is that holds me back but I also realize that it really doesn't matter as long as the result is the same. That being the case this blog becomes even more important since my fear of not completing what I have written in here is actually greater than whatever is holding me back.
I was thinking today about a couple of friends of mine from my past, three of them in fact, all writers, all who have been making a rediculous living from it for many years and all of whom started doing that with a hell of a lot less experience than I currently have. That forces me to ask myself what am I doing really with my time. Whenever I actually go out looking for work there is more than enough around and yet I am always on the edge of starvation with no money and nothing to show for my years of doing the same thing, and doing it fairly well I might add.
At any rate the only way I have ever been able to deal with the things that I fear is to face them head on or at the very least ignore them and keep doing what I need to do anyway in spite of my fear, and that is where I find myself today.
I tried a different approach in marketing that I had read about and actually got a response from one of the three people I sent it to. The others either have not opened their email or have deleted it as junk mail, a risk you take with email. I am however, pleased with the experiment and as well as following up with this one lead I will be sending more of these out, I may even make some changes to the brochure before it goes to print.
Between you me and the virtual world I think I may even try out a roller coaster this year, again it is a time of facing my fears and conquering them. If I am going to be successful and be able to do some of the things I have promised myself I would do this sort ofthing has to start and I am the only one who can do it.
I was just asked to do some more writing at my part-time day job and that should bode well for an increase in what they are paying me, freeeing me up to do the things necessary to promote my writing company.
Trying to add the meditation part into all of this is hard but I think it becomes a necessary evil as I am somehow going to have to find the energy to do all the necessary leg work. As my friend from the coast said however, I could give this a solid try for six months - I have never really done that for any of the many careers I have had. The difference is that I have been doing this stuff for 12 years and I may as well get paid for it. There are so many spin-offs I should be able to stay busy for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home