Sunday, December 12, 2004

As Time Goes By

It is true that when you have put a goal in front of yourself it is often hard to keep. This week however, I did manage to do what I set out to do. Not only did I manage to get my website set up with google and using includes and all that stuff, I was also able to add some text and make it look a little better. Even more important, however, is that I actually put together the list of companies that I had been getting around to and the I went further and actually called some of the companies listed. I know now that instead of getting myself to phone at least 10 numbers I need to make sure I 'speak' to at least 10 people and I should probably start looking at talking to 20 people every time I sit down to make phone calls. That way I can at least get a good real view of how many people do want to hire me. I did get one good response and sent her some samples of my work, we'll see where that takes me since she actually sounded like she was looking for a writer but didn't want to get hassled. I don't think I need her so much as the idea of breaking the ice is even more important.
I sold life insurance many years ago and they used to say that if you spoke ot 10 people you should get 3 appointments and from there make 1 sale. I am not at all sure the numbers work the same way for writers but I do believe it is time I took the experience and training I gained in those years selling furniture, life insurance, clothing and cars and put it to use in an area that I am more comfortable selling.
Eventually, I expect to get to the point where I am getting some referrals from my clients and then I won't have to do as much cold calling. Ah the joys of having your own business. In truth if I don't try this I will never know if I could have gotten it to work. Yes, I sold life insurance but I didn't actually make those 10 phone calls, I hated selling cars, furniture was hell, clothing wasn't so bad but it didn't pay any real money so that was a bit of a waste of time.
This time has to be different, no longer can I wait to see if things break my way or if someone will come along and drag me along like a tail on their comet. Instead I am going to have to do what I have always encouraged my friends to do, follow through on what I said I would do and give it a real chance at success.
It is not as if I have any real choice if I think about it logically. I can't wait to find a job, especially since I have not really worked for anyone for some time. Also I don't want to be stuck working for anyone else, by working for myself I can build a company that I cna get a fair amount of money for when I am all done, so it is sort of in a way of making a pension plan for myself. I can't expect my school to pay for my retirement and I sure as hell plan on retiring.
This city has so much manufacturing and even more software than I had imagined so it is time to take it to the next level. Interesting that I was able to puch myself through University and through almost 20 years of martial arts and still I have trouble pushing myself to succeed. Makes me wonder if we are talking about a fear of failure or a fear of success, both can be debilitating but if you identify which your problem is you should be able to fix it. That is really why I have taken up meditating, I need to get inside my own head. Except for this journal I don't really talk to anyone about what I am really doing so meditation seems like the perfect medium, oh yeah just like talking to yourself in a blog I guess.
Not meditating as much as I should so I am off to do that now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home